It's crucial to spend some time looking at the things that find you joy, calm you down, make you feel energized and allow you to feel whole and centred. It's critical to know yourself and what you need in moments of stress, overwhelm or turmoil.
These things are different for each of us; there is no one perfect self-care formula (sorry, bubble baths); the perfect recipe is the one that is unique to you. We have learnt that the best way to care for ourselves to create our own well-being list.
This list is most beneficial for when you are having a rough day, feeling overwhelmed with the world, sucked dry of your energy or in the throughs of a traumatic event. You can pull up your well-being list and know that any of the items on there will give you some comfort. Having a plan takes away the thinking because we all know that we feel our worst; we aren't at our best mentally/creatively.
Before you have a rough day, take a few moments create your own well-being list/recipe:
- Think of the things that make you feel relaxed, centred or energized. The moments in your days that give you that 'back to yourself' feeling.
- Create a new page in your journal (or our fave: create a new note in your phone's notepad, so you have it with you always) and write out your running list.
- Update as you needed.
Here are 30 ideas to get your list started:
- Go for a walk
- Take a nap
- Reread a helpful book/chapter
- Find somewhere quiet and alone
- Go outside
- Read a book
- Take a bath
- Eat something delicious
- Do a puzzle
- Go window shopping
- Have sex
- Take a mental health day
- Spend time or talk to a good friend
- Light some candles
- Drink something yummy
- Put on your fave outfit
- Do a long self-care routine (face mask, self manicure)
- Listen to calming music
- Watch a show
- Order yourself food
- Write a letter
- Take a long shower
- Do a craft
- Spend time on a hobby
- Take a break
What are some of your go-to self-care rituals that bring you back to yourself?